Monday, April 27, 2020

The desk top.

How many pins do you have on Pinterest?
I'll raise you and double that.

I wanted a desk top like one I found on Pinterest. Jari wasn't convinced that I wanted the "cracks" between the wood slices and for a moment I agreed with him. Then I went back to the original plan. This is the plan I sort of followed. We trimmed the boards down from 8 feet in length just to make them even. Otherwise, it is as close to 8 feet as possible. 

So this desk top isn't suppose to be siting like it is. I wanted either several drawer units from Ikea or one more file cabinet. Guess what? By the time I decided to just go for it and purchase the Ikea things, the store was closed and they were not shipping to Arizona. And by the time I was done building the desk I probably had spent about half of what one of those Ikea drawer units would have cost me. Not bad!

So desk top and stacking on top of what we had was the order of the weekend.
A trip to Home Depot yielded wood stuff for me and electrical stuff for hubby.


I missed taking photos of the first step but it's laid out very well in the link above. I probably added more supports than they did because I have a hubby who wants to make sure things are downright solid.

Somehow I got carried away and made some rather deep holes when countersinking the screws. Nothing that a little bit of wood filler won't fix. After the filler was dried and sanded (and let me tell you … I sanded with a belt sander and then my fabulous little round thing) both top and bottom were stained. It sat for a day and then got several coats of my favorite poly to top it off.



I'm all about Plan B. There's always a Plan B. The file cabinet got painted and went from black to white. The hardware on it went from silver to black. I really don't like spray paint. At. All. Then when I went to slide the drawers back in, I managed to nick some of the spray paint off. I'm calling it character until I come up with something different. The file cabinet is lower than the black Ikea unit, so the desk got a wee bit of propping action until I figure out something different. For now ... it works. And five years from now, it will probably still be working. 


Or ... when the world starts revolving again … perhaps I'll find another file cabinet real cheap like and have another go at spray paint! That might be far enough away that I completely forget how much I dislike the process!

The bar stool isn't in there anymore. This old back cannot handle that much bending over. Too many hours on that and my back was in straight up revolt mode. Too old for that business ... altho' the room is certainly convenient to set up a massage table!

No comments:

Post a Comment