Friday, January 19, 2018

file drawer desk

Not only have we done our share of traveling. I spent months upon months working on craft stuff again this year for our Desert Bloom Market. The Market falls on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and is such a fun time!

I picked up these pieces off of a online garage sale type site more than a year ago. They took up space in the garage until this fall when they finally came together. Two sets became night stands of which I don't have photos. This one tho' was kind of fun.


After finally figuring out what I wanted to do with them, they needed some dismantling. The file label metal things on the front had to come off. I hunted high and low for an idea of how I could keep them but had no success. Off they came after hubby helped me figure out how that was going to happen.


Fill that dumpster!


Notice there are different colors and combinations. Not cool.


I probably have some photos hidden somewhere deep in the inner workings of my computer or phone, but who knows where. A desk it became!

Two sections of the drawers were sanded and then spray painted with chalk paint. I do love that stuff. 

But first they needed somewhere to live. I recycled a table top and made it into a box where I could just slide in the file sections. To make sure they would stay there I attached a piece of wood to the back of each with some good old liquid nail. It shouldn't move. Ever.


The drawer fronts were a challenge as well. The screw holes for the new drawer pulls didn't match with the old ones. In fact, they were way out there off somewhere. Pieces of thin board (actually purchased in a package from Hobby Lobby) were sprayed black and covered those holes.


The base and legs of the table are made from 2x2s and painted black again. Honestly, after doing the side pieces I decided that the back didn't really need the cross pieces. I'll try it again sometime, but wow!

What a great feeling to get a pile of stuff out of the house and turn it into something that I wouldn't mind keeping for myself!

I'll dig through the archives and see what else I can find to share with you! In the meantime, happy crafting/building/refurbishing .... whatever it is you like to do. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment