Friday, August 31, 2018

china cabinet in the making

The wooden cabinet in the background of this photo lived outdoors at our other house. Although I would have dearly loved to bring it inside, there just wasn't a space for it. So on the patio it lived. It was filled with paint, stain, cordless electric tools and that kind of stuff.


Now I have a place for it to live! He really didn't want to believe me, but he pressure washed it one day. Gently. Too close and it would have needed some serious sanding. From everything I could find on Pinterest, outdoor furniture made of teak wood (and I'm not really sure that's what this is) is scrubbed with dishsoap and steel wool or the like to clean it. He really was amazed after the pressure washing job. We let it dry out until we had time to attack the thing. 

Out came the innards that were made for storing wine bottles and glasses. 


Someone had suggested a long time ago that we spray it with teak oil. Use a small sprayer like you would for spraying bugs or weeds and apply several coats of oil. Being as the oil has been sitting under the kitchen sink for nigh on two years ... and I had an extra brush .... I started brushing. The oil can said it shouldn't be used in over 95 degree temp. In my mind that ruled out the outdoors. It is croaking hot right now in our world.

I started this project .. and finished it .. inside. Oh. My. Gosh. Don't do that if you can avoid it. I finally propped the front door open with a box fan that I unearthed in the garage. Cranked down the air conditioner and hoped it would blow out some of the fumes. Bad stuff.


This photo may have a little filter application off my phone. Just a little. Even if it is exaggerated, look at the difference! One coat of liberal high smelling oil! I was a bit worried about the bottom of it. It had seen water outside and there was staining from the nails at the bottom. I seriously thought it was going to bug me big time. It doesn't. I just look at the glass I've placed up on top and I don't care about the bottom!


The bottom portion of the cabinet has a shelf in it. The top needed one. I ran to the favorite Home Depot where I rifled through the pile of 1x12 to find one that might be considered straight. That has got to be one of the most irksome things ever. Crooked wood for sale at premium prices. Got those cut with my trusty cordless Makita cordless saw, along with the 1x2 pieces that the shelf was going to lay on. They were stained outside (like what was the point of that?!) and drying while I did the oiling business inside.

I get these little pojects lined up and then say, "hon ....?" He hops right to it and voila! Shelves went in with the brad nailer and it was good to dry and continue stinking up the house.


I have a lot of pretty dishes. Many I use. Many I don't. All of them won't live in here, but the ones I do use ... they've moved in. There are more in boxes in the garage that I'll need to sift through at some point. Pick what stays out there and what comes in.

The only problem with this cabinet is that I can't see inside it. My plan is to remove the center panels of the top doors and replace them with something I can see through. My dream has sort of been chicken wire. Eventually, the wall behind this cabinet will be shiplap. I think the country look should work, but there will be dust. I don't like dust and I like cleaning it even less. I really do not want to move every little pretty thing to remove dust bunnies. Not anymore than I absolutely have to. Which means ... they will probably be glass. Maybe both. One layered over the other. In any case, it really isn't high on my priority list at the moment. There are other things driving me a wee bit crazier than the doors on this cabinet.

I'll get back to them and share what I decide to do .. at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment