Wednesday, May 1, 2019

makaronilaatikko birthday

Last Wednesday would have been Mummu's 93rd birthday.
In the years we were first married, and for many after that, we often dined on makaronilaatikko.
My first foray into that Finnish delicacy had to include ketchup and it continued that way pretty much forever.
Wednesday I googled (don't you just love the google?!) and found me a recipe. I seriously believe this recipe has a few more ingredients than the one I ate for so many years.
As I looked at this recipe and wondered how many dl or grams something was, I said a serious thanks for this day we live in. I think I tossed many recipes years ago when the figuring was too difficult for my non metric brain. This time ... it was a piece of cake.


I wonder what would have happened if I hit the little shopping cart next to the basilikaa? S'pose it would come via Amazon in the next 10 minutes?

Ground beef into the skillet and chopped with my favorite ever Pampered Chef chopper deal.


Cooked macaroni dumped into the skillet. Sometime in this life I am going to learn how to make just the right amount of rice or macaroni for a recipe. Someday.


A mix of milk (lactose free in this house now) and eggs (fresh picked from my beautiful hens) whisked.


Meat/noodle mix into the dish, topped with the milk/egg mix and slathered with cheese. Into the oven and enjoyed like it was 30 years ago and we were sharing the table with our dear mother.


I probably don't need this in my diet every week, but maybe I'll make it an annual birthday dinner.
I think she might have liked this version.

Happy May Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment