Friday, February 8, 2013

6:52 work of art

Can you believe this is week six already?!
Time is just flying along!

Somedays this project qualifies for stressful. I spend the entire week or two prior to this post pondering what I think best represents the title for the week. "Seeing" things that I haven't necessarily seen in the world around me. The fronts of buildings, grafitti or artwork on walls along the street. Pretty much anything in my line of sight. Then I start the "what if I do this ...." thing. I start snapping pictures here and there and not really loving any of them. Before I know it, the pressure is on. Thursday at work I'm starting to stress about it, knowing that this must be posted tonite. On the way home my brain kicks into gear and comes up with something completely random. I don't know where it comes from, but thank goodness it does.

This week's theme is Work of Art.

My paternal grandmother passed away when I was in high school. With the exception of the first year of my life, I lived in very close proximity to her. In her home for a few years as my parents built our own home on the same property. I was very blessed to be able to spend time with her. Although my clearest memories of her all revolve around the kitchen, she also had a very special talent that she passed on to one of her daughters. I think it is probably one of those lost arts for the most part.

After she passed away, I received this table cloth as a special momento. It is embroidered with pastel shades of flowers and edged with tatted lace that is pale yellow in color. It has graced the table at each of my childs' baptisms and at other special family functions. I consider it not only a special treasure, but a work of art as well.


Next around the bend this week in our circle is Marcy ... enjoy!

1 comment: