Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baked macaroni & cheese

I hope I haven't shared this recipe with you, but if I did it may have been on another blog.
This should probably be a reward for a visit to the doctor where you're told that
your cholesterol is well under control.
If that hasn't happened and you're needing a good dose of comfort food ....
this just might do the trick!

I didn't take any photos while making this treat, rather all of a sudden my mind did
a little "oh ... hurry take a picture before you eat" jig as I sat down at the table.
I do have the recipe and it has followed me around for a few years ....
enjoy!


Baked Macaroni & Cheese

3 c cooked, drained macaroni
1/2 c butter
3 T flour
3 C milk
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz cubed cream cheese
1 C Each cubed or shredded cheddar, Swiss and brick cheese
3/4 C crushed potato chips
1 T melted butter

Preheat oven to 325F. Melt 1/2 C butter in a large saucepan on the stove; stir in flour and continue stirring until it's smooth. Add milk, salt and cream cheese. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce is thick. Mix this with cooked macaroni and 3 remaining cheeses. Spoon into a deep 9x13 pan or a 3-qt casserole. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips combined with 1 T melted butter.

Bake about 30 min. or until gold brown on top.

** I added leftover ham from Easter, but have also added a mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots just to change things up a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment