Thursday, March 29, 2018

dad ... i want a goat

This was the scene about two weeks ago.
Dad is on his computer busily researching something or another. (That's what he does.)
Tia has decided that she needs another pet.
Being as we are not getting a dog until we live someplace else ....

T: Dad ... I want a goat.
D: (looks at her like she's plumb lost her mind) says nothing
T: (continuing on without stopping for a breath) We probably can't have a goat so I think a bunny would be a good idea.
D: still no response
T: Okay ... I'm going to get one. (and promptly leaves to do so)
Apparently in this house, no response equates with assent.


She picked up one and then it needed a friend .. so she went back and got another one.
We may have a problem.
They are not of the same sex.

Next problem was housing.  (Like I don't have anything else I should be doing.) 
I spent Friday making a rabbit hutch.
Pinterest again. Then a run to the hardware store for some screen. The rest of it I had laying in piles and waiting to be used. Using up those miscellaneous piles of wood scrap is a downright good feeling.

After looking at a number of rabbit cages ... this is what I ended up with. I didn't plan. I barely measured. I just went with it. And ... I didn't paint. Bummer. I think it would be really cute in a teal or something. It isn't like I'm running out of paint around here.


Heaven forbid we should have baby bunnies, they need someplace to hide. We don't have critters to worry about here, but occasionally there might be some weather that rolls through. They ought to be safe in there.


Handy hubby chipped in on Saturday and finished off the lid/roof/top for me. I had a plan but he made it more secure.


Finished and unpainted little rabbit house. Just waiting to be moved and get some tenants.


This is Tippy.


Enough space to have some "me" time when they need it. And enough to snuggle up when they want to be friendly.
Low enough that Dominc is going to be feeding them everything in sight. High enough that he can't get them out of the cage. They ought to be safe.


I suggested raising meat rabbits but hubby can't handle butchering them. Turns his stomach.
Guess that's not going to happen.
Plan B: harvest the rabbit poop and make some fine mulch for the garden I don't have. Yet.

What is next around here?
I want chickens.
Seriously I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment