Monday, December 3, 2018

thankful thanksgiving

Typically if I am absent from here, it is because my life has spiraled to nearly out of control proportions. Once again ... it was that kind of fall. And once again, I think I have moments of peace in my near future.

That out of control busy is a great cause of thankfulness. Thankful that I have the ability to do the things that keep me busy. Thankful that I have the family that keeps me busy. Thankful that I have so many hobbies and interests to keep me hopping. Thankful that some of you are still out there waiting for me to come back!

Thanksgiving. The turkey and and all that good stuff. Hours in the kitchen to feed 4 adults and 2 littles. Although I certainly would miss the stuffing and the green bean casserole, I really didn't feel like working myself to the bone this year. And even more than that ... I really didn't want to send all those leftovers to the trash can when we couldn't handle one more plate of leftovers. So I came up with a plan and texted my dear hubby who didn't respond. Later that evening he told me he was communicating our plan to someone and inviting them to fly down and join us. I said, "you're in?!"  I texted Alyx to see if she was "in". Both feet!To be honest, if we had a houseful of company I probably wouldn't have done what we did.

Thanksgiving food shopping with Jari. One more stop in the store to include the Seafood counter. No jello. No pumpkin. No green beans.


We woke to a cloudy and 50ish Thanksgiving Day. Not on the agenda. So we changed it up a bit. We unloaded the boat and loaded the truck instead and headed to our favorite water hole. Jari left to go meet Alyx & Tarron and lead us to our spot. I set the dining table. Fancy, hey?



 I did my vegie duty and shucked the corn.

 I was still waiting and figured I should probably light the charcoal. The littles were dining on hot dogs. Do you know that I don't know how to light a charcoal grill filled with Match Light?! Serious. It was a challenge! Hubby actually had to get it going when he showed up.

The sun was determined to hide behind the clouds and I was chilly. I know. This is Arizona. We are having Thanksgiving dinner at the lake. I really shouldn't complain about the chill in the air, but all things are quite relative after all. I found a warm spot. The crab pot was heating up water and was the warmest spot on the sand.

The bright side of cooking a million and three dishes in the kitchen is that you nibble all morning long. No nibbling going on out here and I was still waiting for the rest of my gang.

So I dug into dessert! Why not? Apple crisp sort of thing I did the evening before with the intention of warming it up on the grill for dessert. Perfect!

Second spoonful was in and my people showed up. Boys and water + a dad who loves to fish = perfect Thanksgiving day.

 Papa did the cooking and the seasoning. Tarron is a spice hound. I'm a wimp. I've gotten better but it was a serious sinus drainer. It seriously took me four attempts to eat that little potato ... and I still couldn't do it. The crab? The bomb! Absolutely scrumptious!

I brought pliers just for this purpose, but hubby prefers the fork. Good thing Wamart sells inexpensive forks 'cuz this one looks like it needs replacing.

We brought home a few pieces of silverware, a crab pot and 4 plates to wash. Easy peasy and just up our alley. I have a feeling that this will happen again.

While the boys are fans of Nana & Papa's house ... there is nothing like water for the boys. The lake is one of their family's favorite places. You can't tell, can you?

Ours too.

Maybe we adults were a bit chilly as the sun played hide and seek behind the clouds but this guy? He had ice cream on his mind and nothing as stopping him!

A few of my reasons to be thankful.

Every.
Day.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Looks like an awesome thanksgiving day!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hands down the easiest Thanksgiving ever! And ... it means that I don't have to cook a turkey at all this year!!

    ReplyDelete