Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Blanket wrapped memories

Last week, if you don't follow me on IG or aren't my friend on FB, I posted this:

The temp in Virginia, MN is suppose to -15 by 8am tomorrow according to my trusty phone. That's downright chilly! My BIL Shawn said he doesn't need any of my old insulation but ... that's cold! So I sacrificed my last Braun box and filled it. (We are in the process of removing all the insulation from the attic ... more later on that one!)

I put my boots on.



I loaded that box in the car.























Drove to the local UPS store.



And shipped it to the cold climate. Hoping it helps warm the family up a bit.



If you know me at all, you know I'm sort of a squeeky Finn when it comes to my pennies. I don't mind spending pennies and I spend a good deal of them at Hobby Lobby etc. But I would never pay to ship old insulation across the country. Never.

In August of 2018, we lost a dear family friend Randy. He was an uncle to, and incredibly close with, Heather and Shawn's children. Incredibly. Close. After his passing, I had asked Heather to save a few of his clothes and I would make a memory blanket out of them. She asked for three of them ... one for each child. The clothes came down last February in the trunk of my parents' car and sat, until recently, when I had time to do something with them.

Randy was a simple man. This picture is Randy. Green tee shirt and suspenders. That was about it. Add John Deere to that and you've got the man. One liners and a quiet kind of guy who was a friend to so very many.


So I started sewing. I found three different John Deere fabrics, a separate one to back each blanket. Added some suspenders and a very special square out of a pair of jeans.


My IG/FB post talked about keeping the family warm. I sure hope they do. Warm from the weight of the blanket and, more importantly, warm in the heart.


The embroidered squares were done by Kathy Johnson who is somehow related to this family. She, too, has lost a very special person in her family and understands the love in these blankets and the comfort they can bring.

Lots of love to Heidi, Hailey and Sawyer.
Many warm hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment