Tuesday, May 15, 2012

celebrating a quarter century

Monday Blayde turned 25 years old.
He would be our oldest child, in case you didn't know that.
That would be a whopping quarter century old.  
For some reason ... that makes me feel just a tad bit older myself.
He spent at least part of the day at our house, although I wasn't able to enjoy much of his visit as I was at work.
I did get to light a candle.
And we did sing.
All three of us that were home.
The chorus is starting to sound a wee bit wimpy.
And if you happen to be in a hurry on your way home with Target on your must stop at list,
they sell quite a delicious Red Velvet Cake that is smaller than entire army size.
After a quick dinner and cake we were off to the curch.
Nearly another quarter of a century of bringing children to Sunday School has ended.
We were able to enjoy the sunset and visiting .... while the kids did their lessons and
the confirmation class celebrated with some pizza.
Does it get much better than pizza and soda for a group of 15 year olds?
Now we look forward to Confirmation Camp this summer for Tia.
I haven't done a very good job of sharing recipes with you, but this one is worthy of sharing.
It wasn't ever one of my monthly menu things until recently and certainly not while Blayde
was still eating at home.
Now, it is becoming an easy favorite of mine.
Major thing there. I don't eat Mexican food.
Blayde enjoyed it and I'm thinking you might as well.

Tortilla Soup (coutesy of Amber)

1-2 lbs beef or chicken
1 can corn
1 can stewed tomatoes - Mexican style (I use whatever stewed tomatoes I have in the larder.)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix   ***(I add some of the dried ingredients only to the soup mixture.)
2-1/2 c water
1 can black beans

Add all and simmer for 1 hour.
Serve with sour cream, cheese and chips.

*****************************


*** Ranch Dresing Mix (might have been a Pinterest find )
Combine and store in an airtight container.
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp pepper

To make dressing:
1/3 c mayonnaise
1/4 c milk
1 Tbsp Ranch dressing mix

No comments:

Post a Comment