Saturday, November 3, 2012

sour cream noodle bake

I've been trying to make menus lately.
Trying to make them according to the grocery ads.
Then last week I didn't manage to make it to shop those ads except for one store.
My friend Pinterest had this recipe for me to try.
I've been rather negligent in following Ree's blog lately,
but if you need play by play instructions, head over to her site.
Her photography skills lend much more to the appealing quality of the dish as well.
 
 
Two of us ate dinner last night. And, yes, this is a 9x13 pan. Leftovers galore for the people who pack their lunch boxes here and have access to microwaves during the day. Murphy's Law declares that if I make a small dish, the crew all shows up for dinner. If I make a large dish ... it's time for a candle lit dinner for two. I do love the fact that this dish has ingredients that are familiar to my taste buds and is an affordable dinner for a family. It also got a thumbs up from Jari. Score!
 

Sour Cream Noodle Bake

Ingredients:
1- 1/4 pound ground chuck
1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
8 oz egg noodles
1/2 c sour cream
1 - 1/4 c small curd cottage cheese
1/2 c slied green onions (less to taste)
1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain fat, then add tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Sir, then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
Cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add to noodles and stir. Add green onions and stir.
To assemble, add half o fthe noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, then sprinkle on half the grated cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat, then a final layer of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.
Serve with crusty French bread.

Note: I have a problem following instructions lately. I put my last name in the blank for the first name. That kind of thing. So I added the cheese to the sour cream mixture instead of layering it. Then added more cheese on top just because more is usually better in my estimation. I also used the cheese blend from Costco that is always in my fridge instead of sharp cheddar. I still enjoyed the dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment