Wednesday, December 2, 2015

cinnamon ornaments

Another little Christmas ditty that has probably been hanging out in my book of
Ideas & Dreams for a long time.
 
The idea is from Pinterest or some fun magazine page.
Love. Love. Love.
 
 
Combining the above picture with a recipe from Martha Stewart,
I gathered my supplies.
Those 50 cent bottles of cinnamon, applesauce from the fridge and
some Elmer's Glue.
 
1 cup of cinnamon
1/4 cup of applesauce
1/2 cup glue
 
Mix the cinnamon and applesauce together first.
Add the glue and mix well.
Refrigerate for one hour.
 
Sprinkle more cinnamon on some kind of flat surface and start rolling out dough,
a small amount at a time.
If the dough gets sticky, sprinkle more cinnamon with the rolling.
Haul out the fun cookie cutters and start cutting.
 

Place the ornaments on a baking pan covered with baking paper.
 
 
Using a straw, poke holes in the ornament from which you'll hang a string later.
Fill that cookie sheet with enough cinnamon to scent your house through to Valentine's Day.
Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours.
Flip them halfway through the baking.
 

Get creative with the hanging.
I wanted something like the Pinterest photo, but had problems finding something like that.
So, I purchased a dowel from Home Depot and cut it to fit inside the kitchen window
and then painted it brown.
Taking apart some garland that I really don't use, I wrapped one strand of it around the dowel.
Hanging was accomplished by wrapping a piece of twine around each end and
stringing it to the blinds that hang hidden behind the curtain valance.
Using a variety of threads and twine, the baked ornaments were hung from the garland.
I added a few cookie cutters into the mix as well.
 

I think my nose is already immune to the smell of cinnamon,
but others can smell it wafting around in my kitchen.


This post has been hanging around since last Christmas.
I don't know how that happened.
Being as Christmas is around the corner, lights are strung all over homes,
Christmas trees are scenting the air ...
it is probably almost time to haul out my cinnamon ornaments and see if they smell divine.

I haven't started decorating yet.
My living room doesn't even fit a tree at the moment.
I am serious about that.
Hopefully this weekend sometime we can start that process ....

Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. Those are too cute!! I might have to go search for this 50 cent cinnamon you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine at Walmart. Those cheap plastic round things of spices. Works great!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this idea and recipe!! Next week's craft project here 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with them! They were easy, fun to do and made the house smell scrumptious!

      Delete