Wednesday, June 13, 2012

spooning up salmon chowder

We buffet style meals at our house. I have a nice counter that works well for serving, so my family has never really learned the "please pass the peas" thing.
I should probably work on that before they're all grown and gone, hey?
So when it comes to serving things like soup and chowder, I have to set out spoons.
Soup spoons or teaspoons?
I like a soup spoon for everything, including ice cream.
Not everyone does.
It's probably wierd.

 My dishwasher leaves something to be desired in the spot removal department.

Yesterday was chowder evening.
I don't know that there is anything quite like the aroma of sauteeing onions, celery and garlic.
Throw in some red potatoes to save the peeling job.
Save all the energy you can for the taste bud department instead.


And then open the last can of salmon.
I can't hardly believe that we are down to only 2 cans of salmon loaded with jalapenos.
This was the last of the regular stuff.
I use to only make chowder with grilled salmon (or halibut), but then I learned something.
Don't stir the chowder like it's cookie dough, rather stir it gently ... and it turns out perfect.


Topped with cracked pepper makes for an easy dinner that is absolutely delicious!



**********************************

Salmon Chowder

3 Tbsp butter                                1 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped onion                 1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery                1 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp garlic powder                      2 (16oz) cans salmon
2 cups diced potatoes                  1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk
2 carrots, diced                            1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
2 cups chicken broth                   1/2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and dill.  Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Sitr in salmon, evaporated milk, corn, and cheese. Cook until heated through.

*** I use more than 2 cups potatoes on a regular basis and add liquid and vegies to make the pot fuller depending on the size of the group enjoying the meal.

4 comments:

  1. Looks so good! How do you store your canned salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, I'm gonna try it soon!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kari K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks delicious, if I close my eyes I can smell it. Paul L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I store the salmon in the pantry. Once anything is canned (pressure cooker is a close friend of mine), it has a healthy shelf life. Salmon sits next to the preciously guarded and hoarded Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete